Monday, February 16, 2015

measuring sticks.


the marker of success is in the measuring stick you use. i had companions on my mission who constantly felt like giant failures. many women frequently feel like this. the feeling of being a failure is something that affects all of humanity, not just women and not just missionaries.

i'm human, i know the feeling of failure. but i also know that whether we are considered successful or not is determined by the measuring stick used.

people may feel like failures as parents when they measure their children's success off of milestones and achievements unreached, rather than their existence as a human being and their sense of wellbeing. people use the same measuring sticks to evaluate their own success status.

i've decided that i'm successful when i try my hardest to be my best. i'm successful when i forgive others. when i ask for forgiveness. when my heart is sorry. i'm successful when i outdo myself. when i bite my tongue. when i am thoughtful. when i am gentle (i'm not naturally gentle). i am successful when my heart is flooded with love and i do my best to share it.

i look for the best in people i like. i suppose i look for the best in myself because i really like myself. i'm a winner. and guess what? you are too. 

No comments: